After a tough week post-chemo I've decided the time to "get my affairs in order" is here. I don't share this to be depressing or sad. I am neither :). I'm tired of being sick (more tired than you can imagine), but I take heart in accomplishing something. Time to start any journey is always NOW.
How We Will Create
* Create the Story of Cancer trust (my estate will go into the trust).
The Story Of Cancer Trust:
* Create hybrid 501c3 nonprofit (allows some profits).
* Create a plan to consistently donate $1M to cancer research.
* Give away my cherished URLs (StoryofCancer.com, CureCancerStore.com).
* Give URLs to a 501c3 we believe will be a good partner.
* Create a Story of Cancer community online.
* Create the Cure Cancer Store.
* Help cancer patients by curating information, sharing and becoming a resource.
* Help cancer researchers who aren't doing things in the "normal" way.
* Create a campaign, Save Martin, Save the World, to help Dr. van Deventer, my oncologist raise the $225,000 he needs to continue his research into CLL (my cancer :).
Since there are a lot of moving parts and I want to SEE this StoryOfCancer.com before moving on to whatever is next I've set plans in motion yesterday and today. Here is what is happening next:
I've ask Jon Jordan and Mark Foulkrod, my "bosses" (really my friends) atAtlantic BT ( http://www.atlanticbt.com ) to be the guardians of the trust. We are meeting on Thursday to iron out details.
There are people who've been contributing resources and love right along who won't be forgotten such as Eric and Cynthia Garrison from WTE.net ( http://www.wte.net). They will be board members and continue to be trusted resources. Dr. Hank van Deventer will also be invited to be a board member. My brother and sister will be asked to be board members too (other suggestions?).
Dr. Hank van Deventer Pitch August 3
Will be presenting Story of Cancer business plan to Dr. van Deventer about the Story of Cancer trust and the Save Martin, Save the World campaign to Dr. V a week from this Friday (I will share a copy on ScentTrail Marketing).
Set Appointment To See Karen Cochran at the Duke Cancer Institute
Haven't seen or talked to Karen since joining Atlantic BT (my bad) and Martin's Ride To Cure Cancer ( http://www.martinsride.com/ ), so overdue for a checkin and will make the Story of Cancer pitch.
Your Help Is Needed...
If you are reading this and would like to help there are a million ways you can become part of the Story of Cancer "team". Here are a few ideas I have
sitting here today:
To Create The Story of Cancer
* Know a good Cancer Support 501c3 we should be talking to? Please share and we will include your recommendations in our pitch meetings and strategy. A great partner is one who will understand enough about Internet marketing to know of the immense value we are about to grant (in excess of $1M).
* Know good board members? Boards can make or break an effort like this and I only have the one estate (lol), so intelligent, caring board members with experience where we are thin (nonprofit world of donations, grants and Charity Navigator) would be much appreciated suggestions.
* LIKE Cure Cancer Store and Story of Cancer on Facebook. This is where we will go to ask for ideas, feedback and inspiration.
* Ideation - This post may sound like I know what I'm doing. I know a little about Internet marketing but forming trusts and 501c3 are areas of absolute ignorance. If you have expertise and would like to help in exchange for little more than our thanks join our Facebook groups and give a shout out to my mobriff(at)gmail email.
* Friendship & Support - I have great friends in Scoop.it, people I care about and who care about me. There is NO WAY to create anything or become a "cancer survivor" without friends and support. Thanks to those who have already saved my life and thanks to those who will continue to do so. You guys rock :) !.
Here is where we are forming the Story of Cancer community now (on Facebook):
Story of Cancer http://www.facebook.com/StoryofCancer
Cure Cancer Store: http://www.facebook.com/CureCancerStore
As always my thanks and love to all.